Monday, September 14, 2015

The F Word

The F Word
Feminism in Jeopardy
Women, Politics and the Future

By: Kristin Rowe-Finkbeiner

I must admit I was intrigued with this article right from the beginning. I enjoyed learning about the 3 waves of American feminism. The first being the right for women to vote in a presidential election, efforts that began with Abigail Adams when John Adams was writing the Declaration of Independence in 1776. And although it took until 1920 before women had the right to vote, with dedication and perseverance women finally got what they fought so hard for. 

The second wave, I believe is still an ongoing issue. Men are still making more money than women and still hold the higher positions in corporate America.  What I related to was the comment made by Susan Scanlan, president of the Women's Research and Education Institute, regarding young women today and discovering that although "the revolution sort of opened up marriage....if you want to come up against the real wall it's with (children). This is when many women find they need to work extra hours to get ahead, can't find reliable or affordable child care and their husband's career comes first. That's when you realize you can't have it all. It's not just that you can't have a clean house, or entertain, or be room mother for your child's class; it's that you can't sleep---the choices are not luxury, but sleep." I am always asked why do I work third shift (11pm-7am). Simply because I do want it all. My four children never had to go to daycare, my house wasn't spotless but it was clean, I host parties when I can, I was a room mom, soccer mom, dance mom, basketball mom, track & field mom translation cheerleader and taxi driver. I worked 32 to 40 hrs a week and I came back to school to get a nursing degree. Yes, it is taking me a while to get the degree but I have not given up. What I don't do a lot on a daily basis is sleep. I sleep when I can, usually in shifts of 2 to 5 hours at a time. When they were younger, I would sleep when they took their naps but as the children got older, the more free time I have to sleep.  But these are choices that I make in order to be able to have it all. It's all about being able to have choices.

The third wave, I don't believe that we are in a "postfeminism" phase. I just think there are other issues at the center of attention. Like equals rights for gay couples and black lives matters front and center. Instead of having all these groups, there should be a unity of them. The more voices the louder the cry.

These should all set an example to women young and old alike that if you fight for what you believe, you can achieve. It doesn't matter how long it takes as long as you don't give up.







5 comments:

  1. I love that you included the quote from Susan Scanlon. It supports the post very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I do believe as well that the second wave is an ongoing issue! Men still get different benefits than women and its s unfair. I believe that women should get treated the same as men and have the same right as men.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more with your statement about how the third wave of feminism is not "postfeminism" because we are all still struggling and have not completely grasp the concept of equality through gender, race, sex, sexual orientation, etc.. Because most people in the corporate world only believe that the stereotypical man can run the show, we will never achieve the equality that is expected.

    Nice post, I enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your post was well written! While I think there are some points I disagree with, the majority of it is entirely accurate and I believe everyone should be on equal footing. There's no reason men and women shouldn't be treated as equals. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Post- femenism doesn't exist, "the system" is trying to tell us that we've accomplished something so we should be happy with that.

    ReplyDelete