Monday, September 14, 2015

Fear of Feminism

Fear of Feminism
Why Young Women get the Willies

By: Lisa Maria Hogeland

In this article it states that "Fear of feminism, then, is not a fear of gender but rather a fear of politics. Fear of politics can be understood as a fear of living in consequences, a fear of reprisals." That young women fear feminism today for fear that men wouldn't want to be with them. That women can't identify themselves with domestic violence victims because it hasn't happened to them.  Considering that this article was written in 1994, I disagree with most of these reasons and agree with an article written by Jaclyn Nicole, in 2013 where she disputes most of the reasons Hogeland claims women fear feminism.   Hogeland hints that women fear politics but considering the number of women in politics nowadays that belief is arguable. The fear of being considered a lesbian, this also can be disputed given the way society support LGBTQ. The idea that men would not want to be in an relationship with a feminist is also slowly fading. More men are supporting women.

As a mother of two young women, I have always tried to instill in my daughters the confidence to speak their minds, to go after what they want and to fight for what they believe in. I believe that at home is where it all starts. Different cultures believe different things as far as what is "expected" from women. My oldest thinks I'm a feminist and although I may not be fighting the fight, I truly believe that all women should have the same opportunities as men and I will continue to try to empower my daughters and any other young or old women with the knowledge they will need to make informed decisions and to love herself enough to want to fight the fight, to not depend on a man. I have included the video by Tamia only because I believe that you need to love yourself and make decisions that are going to best for you.

Jaclyn Nicole: https://wgst303.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/fear-of-feminism/

Nora Ephron: http://www.makers.com/moments/feminists-without-label

Tamia- "ME" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJcFNoUMLPk
Image result for why young women fear feminism
As a woman, why wouldn't you want to fight for women's rights?

1 comment:

  1. I personally have never been a victim of domestic violence but I can't just say I can't identify with those who don't. There are certain movies that I won't watch because it gets me so anygry I don't want to watch it anymore. The movie "Enough" is the perfect example of a movie I won't watch anymore.

    ReplyDelete